Wednesday, February 21, 2007

1 Day Fast

So, today marks the beginning of the Lenten season. I had in my mind decided to fast three days a week, on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and give up a few other things that take up my time as well.
An interesting thing happened, though, at around six o'clock this evening. I began to lose focus, become dazed, and experience fatigue. By nine o'clock, I was really starting to become "woozy," and at that point, I decided that I would give up the lack of eating for three days each week, so that I would have my energy about me.
Anyway, that was that, though I am thankful that I had this experience. Perhaps my decision was too rash. I did spend the time I would have normally gone to dinner reading the Bible, and as hunger hit me throughout the day I would offer up a short prayer.
Still, I'm wanting to make this season a time of preparation and spiritual growth, and so I'm praying that God would teach me this month.
But it's time for me to start thinking about sleep...I just wanted to share about that. I suppose it's a failure, but the thought that God doesn't require His followers to abide by laws is amazing, considering how hard that was today just to pass up the desire to eat. My lesson for the day:
Be free in Christ. External works and strict adherence to rules are not what Jesus wants for us.
Learn from my failure. I did.
~Buster

2 comments:

Heather Michelle said...

I agree that we are free in Christ and are not bound by rules. Fasting, therefore, is not meant to be a means of salvation or a burdensome rule, but rather a spiritual discipline of humbling oneself before God. Weakness is a normal experience in fasting, but it is a large part of the pathway toward humility. In our weakness, God's strength is made more evident. In our weakness, when we cannot turn to food, we turn to Him who is the BREAD of life, our Sustainer - Jesus Christ. You have not failed, just fallen momentarily. Pray. Get back up. Try again.

Heather Michelle said...

also, you do not need to have a formula (ie 3 times a week). Just as God leads.